From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Chris Hoelscher
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:02 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: z/OS 1.11 question on DFDSS/ADRDSSU

I occasionally restore using ADRDSSU and rename the restored dataset to my HLQ
- so that I can have an older version of a dataset to compare to the current
dataset. By  default (it appears) - the restore process will put the
restored/renamed dataset on the same DASD volume as from which it was
originally backed up (which is fine with me )
However - at times I need this dataset to remain for days or even weeks - the
job that does the weekly backup of this DASD VOLUME does not have authority to
read/backup any datasets with my HLQ (nor should it) - thus the backup abends
and I get yelled at

Yes - I could remember to force the restored dataset to another DASD volume
-but - my real question (and preferred solution ) is - is there an option to
tell ADSDRRU "if I do not have authority to backup  any dataset - don't try"
??( I did attempt to read z/OS V1R11.0 DFSMSdss Storage Administration) but did
not find any help there - so either I cannot read IBM-ese or my hoped-for
solution does not exist - thanks for any suggestions