On 31 May 2011 17:52, Farley, Peter x23353 <peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:

> Steve, AFAIK SPC and Metal C are all part of the same product.  The SPC
> documentation is part of the XL C/C++ documentation as well, even though the
> Metal C docs are separate.  The JCL
> EXEC statement to execute (whatever)C is all the same, EXEC PGM=CCNDRVR, and
> the STEPLIB's are also the same.  The PARM controls what version you actually
> run.

I suspect that program name CCNDRVR says what it is doing, and that
there are underlying different versions of the compiler. Or maybe it
is just a JCLish front end, like c89 for the UNIX environment.
Regardless...

> Tony, I'm not so sure about your statement that Metal C does not support
> "generate backlevel instructions".  It seems to me that using
> PARM='ARCH(0),TUN(0)' would produce "backlevel"
> instructions from any of the C compiler outputs, would it not?

One would think so, and I thought the manual said so too. But it
doesn't work - specifying ARCH(0) (or anything else lower than the
default 5) gets a friendly
CCN0790(S) Options "METAL" and "ARCHITECTURE(0)" are in conflict.

What the book says is that

METAL disables:
DLL
RENT
XPLINK
IPA
HOT
DFP

METAL sets the following as defaults:
ARCH(5)
TUNE(5)
CSECT
HGPR(PRESERVE)
FLOAT(IEEE)
NOLONGNAME
NODEBUG(FORMAT(DWARF),NOHOOK,SYMBOL)

METAL ignores the following:
TARGET
INLRPT
GOFF
INLINE when OPTIMIZE(0) is in effect
All suboptions of INLINE

So when it says "sets the following as defaults", I assumed they could
be overridden, but it seems not. Perhaps it should say "METAL forces
the following"... Or maybe it's almost right, and it's only downlevel
code generation they don't do. I haven't played with other
combinations of the "sets the following as defaults" group.

Tony H.