IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 06/01/2011
10:33:51 AM:

> Rob Scott <rsc...@rocketsoftware.com>

> I know that in the software I am involved in, that "MVCL(*)" for
> clearing is used *way* more than any movement purposes as I am a
> heavy user of CPOOL services.
>
> Obviously you can have "fast clear" for objects with lengths that
> 256-multiple using n*XC  - however I have often wished for a
> ZERO=YES option on the CPOOL BUILD so that you are guaranteed a
> clean cell for each subsequent CPOOL GET. If anyone else agrees, I
> might consider raising a Share requirement ....

  Such a requirement would likely be rejected.  There isn't anything
CPOOL can do to obtain better performance for clearing a cell than
what you can do in your own code.  Clearing done by CPOOL would be
guaranteed to be at least marginally slower, and in some cases
considerably slower, than clearing done by your code.

> (2) Is there any performance difference in MVCL when L2 is zero?

  Well, at least you can't get any cache misses on the source
when the source length is zero.

  If your 8K MVCLs have 4K-aligned sources and targets, then
they may be taking advantage of the page mover hardware.  In that
case, MVCs could be considerably slower.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY