Victor Gil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an Assembler user exit invoked by a software product that runs as a
> long-running batch job. The exit properly OBTAINs and RELEASEs its working
> storage, however, as written it does not handle a non-zero return code from
> the STORAGE OBTAIN.
>
> This hasn't been a problem up until last week when it began to abend and the
> dumps indicate that there was not enough memory to allocate.
>
> Obviously, there is some sort of memory leak in the address space.

Or something changed to require a larger REGION.

> Any tips on how to identify the cause are greatly appreciated.
> -Victor-

Use IPCS to inspect the dump.

ip VERBX VSMDATA 'NOG SUMMARY'

will produce a nice report. Scroll down to:

LOCAL SUBPOOL USAGE SUMMARY
     TCB/OWNER   SP#   KEY      BELOW    ABOVE    TOTAL

If one particular TCB seems to be using the lion's share of the storage,
inspect some of the allocations. Look for:

Data for TCB at address xxxxxxxx
DQE:  Addr xxxxxxxx Size     1000

Look at that address in the dump and hopefully find some eyecatchers
that will identify the culprit.

--
Don Poitras - zSeries R & D  -  SAS Institute Inc. -  SAS Campus Drive
mailto:sas...@sas.com   (919)531-5637  Fax:677-4444     Cary, NC 27513