Thanks, Dave, Brian, Mark and Frank!

I was looking for what Frank finally suggested. I want this report to be
generated on a system where I may not be able to use utilities from CBT,
hence, I was looking for a more standard approach based on standard IBM
utilities.

Thanks once again.

Varun Manocha wrote on 06/07/2011 08:58:57 AM:
> I have created a report from DCOLLECT data with dataset_name
volume_serial
> creation_date space (in kb) and various other fields.
>
> I am looking for a way to scan this report and summarise the space used
by
> each HLQ. Could someone help me out with this requirement please.
>
> The input record layout is something like :
>
> SYS1.VVDS.VPROD46                               PROD46  2011123
10
> ABC.DATASET.SOMETHING               XYZA41                      2008101
80
> XYZ.SOMETHING.ELSE                       YXZA44         2007114
90
> ABCXYZ.SOMETHING.ELSE                                   ABC123  2006762
> 100
> ABC.SOME.OTHER.DATASET                                  AAA111  2005092
20
> SYS1.VTOCIX.PROD46                                              ZZZ123
> 2005123         20
>
> I would like the output to be something like this:
>
> SYS1            30
> ABC             100
> XYZ             90
> ABCXYZ  100

You can use a DFSORT job like the following to do what you asked for.
I couldn't tell the position, length and format of your fields or the
RECFM
of your input data set.  I assumed it's RECFM=FB and just guessed at the
positions - adjust as necessary.

//S1 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN DD *
SYS1.VVDS.VPROD46                         PROD46  2011123         10
ABC.DATASET.SOMETHING                     XYZA41  2008101         80
XYZ.SOMETHING.ELSE                        YXZA44  2007114         90
ABCXYZ.SOMETHING.ELSE                     ABC123  2006762        100
ABC.SOME.OTHER.DATASET                    AAA111  2005092         20
SYS1.VTOCIX.PROD46                        ZZZ123  2005123         20
//SORTOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *
  INREC PARSE=(%01=(ENDBEFR=C'.',FIXLEN=8)),
    BUILD=(%01,11:61,8)
  SORT FIELDS=(1,8,CH,A)
  OUTFIL REMOVECC,NODETAIL,
    SECTIONS=(1,8,
      TRAILER3=(1,8,11:TOT=(11,8,ZD,M10,LENGTH=8)))
/*

SORTOUT would have:

ABC            100
ABCXYZ         100
SYS1            30
XYZ             90

If you need more specific help, feel free to e-mail me directly with
the details of your input file (yae...@us.ibm.com).

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yae...@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort