----------------------------<snip>----------------------------------------

I don't know why someone would want to restrict IPCS use. What someone would normally want to restrict is the data (such as system SVC dump data sets) that "Joe User" might be allowed to use IPCS on. Your own SYSMDUMPs should be fine. So maybe the restriction is out of laziness -- they don't want to protect their data (the data sets) so they sort of (but not completely) protect it by restricting access to the tool that makes it easiest to view the data.
Peter, I had the same problem in my shop. Seems that the "pencil pushers" were afraid that IPCS access to a dump would reveal passwords that we "stored" somewhere in system storage.

I finally won the fight when I got the RACF team to explain how passwords were verified and
stored in the RACF Database.

Rick