From: "Mark Zelden" <m...@mzelden.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:26:56 PM
Subject: Re: SYSLOG saving

So more of these posts have made me think.  There is no reason that
some of those other shops I mentioned that had more "general" products
(as opposed to some that specifically manage syslog or have components
that do) couldn't have used those products to store syslog.  And maybe
more of those shops do today than they did over the past 20 years of
history I was referring to.

Some reasons they may not be doing so could be:

1) Old processes using external writers storing to a GDG worked fine
and were never changed to use those output management products
as they were added to the system.

2) KISS.   Some of those products take special access, security etc.
People already knew how to access the syslog GDGs.  Easy to manage
with GDG limits and / or HSM.

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com