On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 20:42:22 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>Second, it should return a RC when it overrode the programmer's
>instructions so that the RC can be used to trigger some action, if
>desired, due to the request being unilaterally denied by IBM. Thus
>the action is "user unfriendly" due to the stealth nature of the
>zero'ing (ie: Doing it without notifying the program that it was
>done).

Does OPEN generally set RC?  I thought it either succeeds or causes
an ABEND (which could be trapped).  Are programmers accustomed to
testing RC after OPEN.

It's a holdover from a batch/production mindset: data sets are to
be allocated statically, and there's no recovery when one can't
be accessed.

But, yes, I agree; OPEN should provide notification, via a mechanism
that programmers have come over decades to handle, when it does
something underhanded.

-- gil