Indeed, we had a 360/95 at NASA Goddard, and I thought it was silly that it
spent most of it's time running I/O bound batch.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com>wrote:

> scott.r...@joann.com (Scott Rowe) writes:
> > If it bothers you that much you are going to have to go back to running
> on
> > older (slower) hardware.  It is just not possible without throwing out
> all
> > the innovative features that allow current processors to run at the
> speeds
> > they do.  If you think it's bad now, it will get a lot worse if/when IBM
> > introduces SMT in mainframe CPUs.
>
> there was project to do threading for 370/195 (that never shipped).
>
> 195 had pipeline and peaked around 10MIPs for carefully crafted code.
> However, branches stalled the pipeline (modulo special case looping
> within pipeline); no speculative execution, etc. ... so most codes ran
> about 5mips (still slightly faster than 3033, which was about 1.5 times
> 168-3 or 4.5mips).
>
> the effort was to duplicate psw and registers to simulate 2-way
> multiprocessor w/o actually replicating any other hardware (instructions
> in pipeline would have one bit flag to identify which instruction stream
> instruction/regs/etc belonged to) ... two 5mip instruction streams
> utlizing peak 10mips with only modest additional hardware
>
> have to settle for 360/195 functional characteristics from bitsavers
> (very similar to 370/195)
>
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/funcChar/A22-6943-0_360-195_funChar.pdf
>
> 3081d was supposedly approx. 5mips ... but for some things it ran 20%
> slower than 3033. 3081k doubled the cache size and was supposedly
> approx. 7mips ... but for some number of things ran nearly same as on
> 3033. it isn't until 3090 that you really start to match 195, more
> than 15 yrs earlier; announce aug1969
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP2195.html
> 370/195
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_2423PH3195.html
> 3090 announce feb1985:
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3090.html
>
> big part was the side trip into FS and the disastrous failure (including
> shutting down lots of 370 development during the FS years). With the
> failure of FS, there was mad rush to get products back into the 370
> pipeline. 3033 started out as 168-3 remapped to 20% faster chips (chips
> also had 10 times as many circuits/chip, but the extra circuits started
> out going unused). During 3033 development, some of the critical 168-3
> parts was redone to leverage higher circuit/chip density eventually
> reaching 1.5times 168-3.
>
> In parallel with 3033 there was 3081 which was basically the FS 370
> emulator ... some amount of details here:
> http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm
>
> from above:
>
> The 370 emulator minus the FS microcode was eventually sold in 1980 as
> as the IBM 3081. The ratio of the amount of circuitry in the 3081 to its
> performance was significantly worse than other IBM systems of the time;
> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have
received this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it,
(ii) reply to the sender that you received the message in error, and
(iii) erase or destroy the material. Emails are not secure and can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed
to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by email. Thank you.