The more I think about this, the more I think less is better.

Given the amount of time to fully understand the situation, find the
procedure (which has never been tested), get a management buy in to pull
the trigger, thoughtfully issue the correct commands in the correct
sequence (watching for and reacting to unexpected results).... hmmm just
ran out of time and the lights are out. No flashlight? Gee. Perhaps you
should have taken a few minutes to find one that is working.

Perhaps it would be better to see to the safety of the personnel and let
the software do what it will.

I would wonder if the potential for damage is greater if I were hacking
away on the console when the lights finally went out.

Just my $0.02 (before taxes).