-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Burrell, C. Todd (CDC/OCOO/ITSO) (CTR)
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: An upbeat story

The main thing I have found that makes a good sysprog is the ability and drive
to not let a problem or issue beat you - that "I will find the damn answer"
drive that makes you always try and solve a problem.  And you need to have
excellent problem solving skills.

I've found that good operators can make good sysprogs and programmers if they
want to make that move.    However, one of the best DBA's I ever worked with
had a Music degree in college.  He liked music, but he had excellent drive and
problem solving skills.   And IT paid a lot better than being a music teacher.

----

  I agree with your comments.  I CAN'T STAND to let a problem beat me.  I WILL
figure it out.

  I did the Operations -> Network -> SysProg route.

  One of our sharpest and most innovative development programmers is also an
accomplished musician.  Maybe the creativity involved in music helps in some IT
environments?  Or maybe it's just having multiple ways of looking at things.

   I, on the other hand, have being doing IT since 1976 - and I don't have any
creative talents that I know of.  :-)

Regards,
Bob Lester
OppenheimerFunds, Inc.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.
OppenheimerFunds may, at its sole discretion, monitor, review, retain and/or
disclose the content of all email communications.