On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:04:28 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>Sauce for the goose.  In the recent "DCBE" thread, several
>contributors (particularly IBM employees) lauded z/OS for
>steadfastly maintaining compatibility with previous incorrect
>behavior.  Apply the same standard when judging Windows and
>z/OS.

On the matter of misguided compatibility, the relevant
analogy is that it's best to peel the adhesive tape
briskly; it hurts worse if you hesitate.

>The Twinsun page avers that Cygwin uses the zoneinfo data base;
>I only hope correctly;  I haven't tried it.

Got to Cygwin.  Looked at timestamps for a file from
last February, mounted via Samba from a Solaris server.
Cygwin shows the timestamp correct; 7 hour offset from
UTC.  Windows Exploder shows it an hour off.  Does
Samba reflect the timestamp in UTC and Windows corrupts
it?

There's a parallel disagreement for a native Windows
file.  But I have no audit trail to determine which
is correct.  Hmmm.  I created one with touch(1)
from Cygwin.  Windows shows timestamp an hour off.

-- gil