>In your note below you left out the number of engines as part of the equation
>for hardware MSU.

Ah, the MSU is for one processor only, then! Only when I multiply the 74MSU
by the 6 processors that we have I arrive at 444 (instead of the quoted
339)., i.e. almost 31% more 'hardware MSU' than 'software MSU'.

> It also sounds as if you want to compute the hardware MSU for a series of
> models and show then as bars on the same chart as your actual data.  The
> best way to do that, in my opinion, is to use service units all the way
around.
> You can do that by converting time back to service units and going forward.

This might be an interesting exercise. At this point I am mainly interested
in showing the maximum 'capacity' of our basic model.

On the other hand, my management knows that we have 339 MSU - if I start
using 444, nobody will have a clue what's what. Which might mean that I
would have to somehow convert the 444 to relate back to the 339 that are the
official MSU rating.

As in: We are actually only getting 76% of the full capacity. I could use
*that* percentage as 76% of 3600s, meaning the maximum achievable cpu time
per 10 minute interval is 2736s.

How's that for being convoluted?

>Please note that this will not give good numbers or anything close to them if
> you change model families, such as from a z10 to a z196.  It is only good
> within a single family.
Agreed. But so far we had been staying in the same family :-)

Best regards, Barbara