On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:51:22 -0500 Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> Has anyone tried compiling it with the ASCII compiler switch (and
> XPLINK) and relying on code page autoconversion?  Would this
> even be useful?  What is the intrinsic code page for Perl?  UTF-8?
> Is this within autoconversion's capability?
>
> (I'm not volunteering; I know no Perl)
>
> I hate EBCDIC!

I recently had reason to visit this issue from the other end - a
(ASCII) client with an EBCDIC file (text, packed decimal, integer
fields) that needed to be made "usable".
Was easily solvable with perl from the ASCII end. If you have (or
can construct) a map file, what we (EBCDIC aware mainframers) can bring
to the table is a knowledge of the data formats.

Horses for courses.

Shane ...