Sir/s ...

Forgive me ... I have a completely different take on this and again
forgive me if I'm about to 'rock the boat'.

Why not 'train' them ?.

I realize (and have seen the underlying 'supposed' 'business' reasons)
that some of our old timer skills are dwindling but .. I still do not
see that as a reason for everybody to insist (as I've said before) to
start making the mainframes look like the PC world. Unless of course,
IBM wants to start adding 'CTRL-ALT-DEL' to NIPCON and MSTR consoles.

Please do not misunderstand ... it's not that I do not like 'C' per se.
In fact, I do like C for certain applications but I certainly do not like
the rest of the Visual crud. Of course, everybody wants top performance
too right ??.. Even with C, you have a compiler that, IMHO, is not suitable
for true business needs ... why ... should we start talking about garbage
collection, JAVA and such ??. Performance ??.

To bring up another example, I seem to remember (back in a former lifetime
while at Univ.) when I first learnt C, it was much easier... and any
given 'C' application had but perhaps a .C and a .H file that one had to
worry about. This perhaps is still true (have not touched C in close to
three decades) but the rest of the variants certainly require more .xxx
files and maintenance.

I've had many (far too many) an argument with non-mainframe folks that have
adamantly been opposed to the fact that we did not recompile our products
every two days .... while I do understand their limited knowledge .. I
personally don't want to promote them developing or maintaining MVS (or VM
or VSE or or or or). Further, as I've told each and every one of them,
verbatim,
I do not need to recompile or reassemble my product every day just to
justify
my job. In fact, this relates to 'SCRUM' and 'AGILE' and the rest of the
buzzword nonsense does it not ??. By the .. SCRUM, taken from the old rugby
terms, mean (kinda) mass confusion (which is now seen) and agile... well,
I'll
let that one go for now.

Another aspect that I see is the common complaint that 'oh .. we can't find
people with good z/OS sysprog and or z/OS assembler' skills. Is that really
true ??. Or would it more so be that there are plenty of sales folks, be
they be associated to the 'development' world, the 'consulting' world, the
PC
world or even and especially, the HR / recruitment world that wants to cough

up $60+/hr (in terms of consulting) or 90k+ (in terms of salary) for one
that
has almost no experience on the mainframe so long as they know JAVA ... BUT
..
still keep looking for a Senior level developers or systems programmers,
with
strong experience in MVS, VM, VSE, Linux, WINDOWS, VMS, and whatever else
have
you, all for a paltry $20/hr ??. If that's not bad enough, all the while ...

lopping off ten times as much for their own pockets.

Invariably, when they cannot find anybody, their response to their
management
and or the client is ... 'oh nobody knows MVS or assembler'.

We already have a non-mainframe world that barely can survive with one that
codes in just any ONE language or architecture. More so, from what I've
known,
it's usually a mix of multiple .. e.g. .. JAVA for DB2 ... is it JUST JAVA
??.
NO !!. We have a constant slew of buzz words that needs to be a tail to JAVA
do we not ??. How about the fact that most all (if not all) of these
recently
graduated genius's don't even know how to spell assembly (in the PC
environment
that is).

IMHO, costs and everything else come thereafter. No offence meant to anybody
(and I'm being as honest as I can be) but .. I fear that currently,
stupidity
reigns.

By the way ... if anyone of us had to have brain or heart surgery .. would
we
want one that learnt how to perform surgery with JAVA simulations ??. By
that,
I mean this as a reference to 'Rapid Development' and 'Point And Click'
IDE's
which has taken over the data processing and even, engineering world.

Kind Regards

Jim Thomas
617-233-4130             (mobile)
636-294-1014                (res)