On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:45:46 -0700, Sam Siegel wrote:
>I've yet to see an open system person have even a vague understanding
>of record oriented I/O or PDS processing.

OS/360 and its progeny have only a vague understanding of record oriented
I/O.  Consider that QSAM is the record oriented access method, yet it
won't let you NOTE the position of a record nor POINT to it.  BSAM has
NOTE and POINT, but those are in terms of blocks, not records.  And PDSes
are biased toward BPAM which, again, is block oriented, not record
oriented.  And many programming languages (Rexx, I know; C, AFAIK)
support PDS processing only if the programmer allocates to the individual
member; quite a vague understanding of PDS processing.

VSAM ESDS?  How well has it penetrated?  What utilities will let me use
ESDS as SYSIN?

VM/CMS does far better.  It uses an Item Number which is a logical
record.  It even allows creating sparse files (at least for RECFM=F).

-- gil