On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 03:11:13 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>I thought there was a minimum of 18 bytes for LRECL.
>At least, there was in 1981, when I learned JCL.

That was for tape, not DASD.  And it applied to BLKSIZE, not LRECL.
I just allocated:

   Device type . . . . : 3390
  Data class . . . . . : **None**
   Organization  . . . : PS             Current Utilization
   Record format . . . : F               Used blocks . . . . : 0
   Record length . . . : 1               Used extents  . . . : 0
   Block size  . . . . : 1  [selected by SDB; I specified 0]
   1st extent blocks . : 86
   Secondary blocks  . : 23             Dates
   Data set name type  :                 Creation date . . . : 2011/08/17
   SMS Compressible. . : NO              Referenced date . . : 2011/08/17
                                         Expiration date . . : ***None***

(I didn't try writing anything to it.)  The restriction was due to access
methods' ignoring short tape blocks as noise.  I've often wondered
what would happen if I allocated RECFM=VB,BLKSIZE=8192,
LRECL=137, all perfectly legitimate on tape, then wrote a single
5-byte record (plus BDW is 9) then CLOSEd the data set.  Of
course, modern tapes and controllers are too smart to let that
cause problems -- they likely write and verify a preamble on each
block.  But antiquated access method code might still look at the
CSW and reject the block as noise.

-- gil