IND$FILE in BINARY mode should do it. Did you know that "pax" can read from and
write to z/OS legacy datasets? That is, the pax archive can be in a sequential
dataset, not just in a UNIX file.

pax -wvf "//'HLQ.DSN.PAX'" /my/sub/directory/*

But I'd pre-allocate HLQ.DSN.PAX. RECFM=FB,LRECL=1,BLKSIZE=27998 for 3390. Use
IND$FILE in BINary mode (or ftp on source, if available). Now, why so weird a
DCB? Because IND$FILE is not too good at file transfer and LRECL=1 will work
fairly well even with IND$FILE. I don't think RECFM=U or RECFM=VB would work
right, but I could be wrong. I am sure LRECL=1 and RECFM=FB will work, but
inefficiently.

Why not just use a tape? The target system must be very weird if it does't have
ftp or tapes. How do they do any maintenance? Or, no offense, are you simply
trying to bypass some security measures that the target management has set up?
Or, even worse, are you an auditor or security consultant trying to prove that
the z/OS system is insecure? My paranoia is running rampant.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group