I want to verify that tapes that have been degaussed are really wiped clean of
data.    I took one tape that is in delete status in TMS and made an outside
label (SYT001) and using DITTO, tried to dump the tape label.  The job gets an
IOS000I with error code of NCA which says:

          NCA       The density capabilities of the tape unit, tape control
 unit, and the mounted tape are not compatible. This occurs  if:

          o   A tape volume is mounted on an incompatible tape unit.

          o   A load point in a density is not compatible with the
              tape unit.

          o   A 1600 or 6250 tape unit cannot read the ID burst in the
              load point area of the tape.

I'm 99.9% sure that it's not the first or second reason(it is a 3490 tape on a
3490 drive).  Should I expect the third error due to degaussing?
Can anyone suggest a better means of verification?

Anne D. Crabtree
System Programmer
WV Office of Technology Data Center
1900 Kanawha Blvd East