From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Donnelly, John P
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: SMS and Not Cataloged Datasets

Good FRIDAY morning,

In our SMS world of storage we have encountered not cataloged datasets which,
when deleted through ISPF 3.4 list, or IDCAMS, or IEHPROGM, have created some
unusual results.

In an ISPF 3.4 list specifying the datasetname and the specific volume serial
number where the not cataloged dataset resides has resulted in the cataloged
version of the dataset being uncataloged and not deleted.

These datasets turn up not cataloged because of statements in our production
JCL which specify things like NOSCRATCH NOERASE for a simple dataset.

An IEHPROGM execution returns:

X'04'

                 X'06'

                 X'00'

                 X'1E'

                 Verification of SMS flags failed; caller  indicates the data
set is not cataloged,  but the FMT1 DSCB indicates the data set  is cataloged.

Our question is,  how do we delete these not cataloged datasets?

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html