> Good FRIDAY morning,
>
> In our SMS world of storage we have encountered not cataloged datasets
which, when
> deleted through ISPF 3.4 list, or IDCAMS, or IEHPROGM, have created some
unusual
> results.
>
> In an ISPF 3.4 list specifying the datasetname and the specific volume
serial number
> where the not cataloged dataset resides has resulted in the cataloged
version of the
> dataset being uncataloged and not deleted.

My favorite is using DFDSS to do this.  Using PARM='TYPRUN=NORUN' will list
all files that meet the criteria.

//*
//*  LIST DATA SETS NOT CATALOGED ON A VOLUME
//*
//NOCAT   EXEC  PGM=ADRDSSU,PARM='TYPRUN=NORUN'
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//OUTPUT   DD DUMMY
//SYSIN       DD *
        DUMP DS (BY ((CATLG EQ NO))) -
             INDYNAM(           -
                     (111111) , -
                     (222222) , -
                     (333333) , -
                     (nnnnnn)   -
                    )  ODD(OUTPUT)

You can backup the files and then restore them if needed.  To delete you
would add a DELETE PURGE to the control cards.

Lizette