From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: SMS compressed VSAM datasets

This is a weird question, but I've been directed to ask it. We are converting
some VSAM datasets which currently use BMC's Data Accelerator compression to
use SMS compression instead. This is a financial decision. We use CA-Faver to
do our VSAM backups. Faver states in its manual that it will unload the VSAM
data to its archive in uncompressed form. I guess this is because Faver "knows"
it is SMS compressed. When the data was compressed via Data Accelerator, Faver
was unaware that it was compressed, and so did not interface with Data
Accelerator to uncompress the data. This meant that the data on the tape was in
a very compressed form. Which is not true with SMS compression. The result of
this difference is that our backups are taking much longer. Which was a
surprise to all and is causing concern. So my question out there is "any ideas
on what I can do to make run faster"? So far, the only suggestion from CA is to
increase the BUFSIZE on the dump. But I don't think this is !
 going to reduce the run time significantly.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group