1) I would increase bufnum before bufsize....
2) Compress the output...

HTH,

<snip>
This is a weird question, but I've been directed to ask it. We are
converting some VSAM datasets which currently use BMC's Data Accelerator
compression to use SMS compression instead. This is a financial
decision. We use CA-Faver to do our VSAM backups. Faver states in its
manual that it will unload the VSAM data to its archive in uncompressed
form. I guess this is because Faver "knows" it is SMS compressed. When
the data was compressed via Data Accelerator, Faver was unaware that it
was compressed, and so did not interface with Data Accelerator to
uncompress the data. This meant that the data on the tape was in a very
compressed form. Which is not true with SMS compression. The result of
this difference is that our backups are taking much longer. Which was a
surprise to all and is causing concern. So my question out there is "any
ideas on what I can do to make run faster"? So far, the only suggestion
from CA is to increase the BUFSIZE on the dump. But I don't think this
is going to reduce the run time significantly.
</snip>