> :>>:>According to the description for the RC=8, RSN=26, you should
> also have allocation messages that describe the problem.
> :>>
> :>>Just the useless
>
> :>>IKJ56245I DATA SET aaa.D263.T1309152.aaa NOT ALLOCATED, NOT ENOUGH
SPACE ON
> :>>VOLUMES+
> :>>IKJ56245I USE DELETE COMMAND TO DELETE UNUSED DATA SETS
>
> :>What is 'aaa' above?  Your userid (the default)?  If userid dsns
> are SMS controlled (I don't recall
> :>on Dallas if they are and would have to check a client's system),
> then do you have space
> :>in that pool?
>
> Yes, and they are not.
>
> :>If the LE defaults haven't been altered (operator "D CEE,ALL"
> command) then you can just
> :>add a SYSUDUMP, SYSABEND, or SYSMDUMP to get the dump and it won't
> try to ceate
> :>the dyndump.
>
> Defaults unchanged.
>
> Why size does IEATDUMP try to allocate? Do I need to SVC trace 99 to
figure
> this out?

You do not need to trace SVC 99 to figure this out.  Most of the answer is
in the manual:

<quote>
DSNAD=dsnad
DSN=dsn
DDNAME=ddname
A required input parameter.

DSNAD=dsnad
A 4-byte field which contains the address of the area of the name pattern
 used to create the data set that is to contain the dump. The format of
the
 area is described in the DSN field which follows.
To code: Specify the RS-type address, or address
 in register (2)-(12), of a pointer field.

DSN=dsn
A 2- to 101-character input area that contains the name pattern used to
 create the data set that is to contain the dump. The format of the area
 begins with a single byte specifying the length of the name pattern,
which
 must not be greater than 100. The name pattern immediately follows that
byte.
 The name pattern has a series of attributes: it is similar to that used
by the
 operator DUMPDS NAME= parameter, except that &SEQ is not supported,
 and there is no default name pattern available; the use of system symbols
 is supported; and it must resolve to a valid data set name which can be
 allocated from the caller's task . When used with the REMOTE= parameter,
 the generated name must be unique for each requested address space
 (&JOBNAME is one recommended addition to the pattern to accomplish this).

In addition, IEATDUMP also recognizes the symbol &DS. (Dump Section)
 on the end of the name pattern. When present, IEATDUMP allocates the
 first data set for dumping, ending with "001". If this runs out of disk
space
 or uses up all 16 extents before the dump is completed, dumping will be
 continued to data sets with the same name, but ending in "002","003", and
 so on, until the entire dump is written. Each of these data sets are
allocated
 with a primary extent size of 500M and a secondary extent size of 500M,
 but it is possible to change these values by providing ACS routines that
 are driven by DFSMS.

Remember to combine all of the data sets into one data set by using
 IPCS COPYDUMP, before using IPCS to view the diagnostic data.

To code: Specify the RS-type address, or address in register (2)-(12),
 of a 2- to 101-character field.

DDNAME=ddname
An 8-character input field that is the name of the DD representing the
 data set that is to contain the dump. The DD must be allocated when
 IEATDUMP is invoked. The system will open this DD.
To code: Specify the RS-type address, or address in
 register (2)-(12), of an 8-character field.

<end quote>

  For the part of the answer that is not in the manual:
If the DSN name pattern does not end in &DS (or you are running on a
release lower than
z/OS 1.10),  IEATDUMP creates a 2GB data space, and captures the dump data
into that data space
(so the maximum size of the dump is 2GB).  IEATDUMP then knows the exact
size of the dump
(the amount of data in used in  the data space), and allocates a primary
extent of that size.

  I don't know what LE uses for the DSN name pattern, or if it allows you
 specify that in some LE parameter.  I am considered to be fairly
knowledgeable
 about z/OS dumping, but I am not an LE user.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY