I wish I could recall the exact circumstances, but it was probably a
conversation at SHARE: when the ARM keyword was added to FORCE, any actual
'recovery manager' was still a gleam in some developer's eye. In the
absence of a system provided recovery manager, 'ARM' was simply a
protective flag that offered one last chance to avoid destructive shutdown
of a vital system task. Protection was pretty flimsy in that the response
to FORCE without 'ARM' was simply the instruction to reissue the command
with 'ARM'. Not exactly a concrete barrier.

Automatic Restart Manager as we know it today was never tied to the FORCE
command, so the 'ARM' keyword remains a relic with as much (or little)
protection as it had originally. Plus grist for an extended Friday
conversation on IBM MAIN.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson