>In the meantime, I recommend that you specify a
>device number which does not exist, or, if you are using
>all 65,536 device numbers, pick one which is unlikely
>to present an interrupt before you can click SEND on the
>HMC after you IPL SADMP.
In our case unit=1f isn't defined, so the default is fine.

>I would recommend that you run
>VERBX SADMPMSG 'STATS'  under IPCS against an existing dump
>from the system of interest.  Look for the section of output
>titled  "Paged Out Virtual Dump Statistics".  Under that,
>find the line labelled "Average output data rate".
>Use this rate to extrapolate how long it would take to
>dump 1114MB.   It will probably be considerably longer
>that you want to wait.  That's why we make it an option.
Good idea. We still haven't gotten around to sadumping our 1.12 system via
autoipl, so I might change the dump option for that test plex to dump
everything in the page data sets. The I/O rate can only get better once we get
to the newer generation of DASD, now that at least the box is a z196. (And I
don't have sadumps lying around from the system in question.)

Once we got around to that, I'll let you know about the times....

>  A general note about the output of
>VERBX SADMPMSG 'STATS' :
>
>  I originally created this for my own use.  It contains some
>easily understood data which could be used by anyone,
>and a lot of internal information.  The information whose
>meaning is clear to you is intended for both of us.  The
>rest is intended for me.

I like your disclaimers for future questions :-)

Best regards, Barbara