I'm not Timothy, but since I was involved in formulating the way to do this:

1. Order the Customized Offerings Driver (aka COD, 5751-COD) on DVD.
2. Modify the default IOCDS to support the COD's I/O configuration using the installation instructions that come with the COD. 3. Restore the COD system using the instructions that come with it, and the optical drive in the HMC.
4. Use the COD system to install your z/OS ServerPac.

See Topic 3.1, What is the Customized Offerings Driver?, at:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/e0z2b1c0/3.1?SHELF=EZ2ZO213&DT=20110615113655

Roger Bowler wrote:
Timothy Sipples wrote:
A tape drive is no longer a requirement to start and run z/OS -- thank
you, IBM!

Timothy,

Could you outline the procedure for installing z/OS on a greenfield site z196
without a tape drive?

Last time I installed z/OS on a brand new z10 at a new site, a 3590 tape drive
was required to load the distribution tapes. What has changed?

Thanks,
Roger Bowler