David Andrews wrote:
On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 10:11 -0400, John Eells wrote:
See Topic 3.1, What is the Customized Offerings Driver?, at:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/e0z2b1c0/3.1?SHELF=EZ2ZO213&DT=20110615113655

John, is the COD usable as a "rescue" system?  (Yeah, I see that it
takes two hours simply to restore from DVD.  But it might give me a warm
feeling just to have a current DVD in a vault somewhere.)

First: We support the COD's use only for installing z/OS. If you are doing anything else with it and it doesn't work you're on your own.

For any number of configuration and security reasons I think it's safer--and not very much overhead after you have done it the first time--to create a rescue system of your own. I believe someone on the list (Mark Zelden?) has a sample you can use to create a one-volume rescue system. Additionally, if you include all the parts of z/OS you're supposed to install when you build a rescue system, we'd support it through normal service processes were there a problem.

Having said that, if the COD's I/O configuration matches the IOCDS you're using, things like TSO/E and ISPF, and DFSMSdss (assuming you are licensed for it) *should* work in the hardware environments that were supported when that copy of the COD was created since they are required to install z/OS using one installation method or another.

Oh, and that estimate is 2 hours *per DVD.* It's actually a pessimistic estimate for most people because the data rates supported on newer HMCs are significantly better than those for the oldest possible HMCs we used to calculate it, but we didn't want tell people to expect 30 minutes per DVD and then have it take 2 hours for each one.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing