-----------SNIP-------------------------------

HONE also started offering marketing&sales applications implemented in
cms\apl. Eventually the sales&marketing use began to dominate all HONE
use and the virtual guest use died off. By the mid-70s *ALL* mainframe
orders had to be first processed by HONE aids&configurators ... all
implemented in APL (and HONE virtual machine clones were started to
sprout up all over the world).

HONE was part of the sales&marketing organization and periodically some
branch manager would be promoted into executive position that included
responsibility for HONE ... and they would find to the horror that the
company (especially sales&marketing) ran on vm370 (not *MVS*). They
would come to believe that their career in the corporation would be made
if they could convert HONE to MVS. A huge amount of resources would go
into a MVS migration attempt and eventually fail ... then there would
eventually be executive shuffle and the whole thing forgotten until the
next new executive.

Anne:

My memory sort of agrees with the above and I will accept your memory.

We used to have a full time SE from sometime in 196x's to the mid-late 1970's.

My recollection from talking with him was that HONE was used for all
configuration(s).
Was that not the case? I still remember (albeit vaguely ) looking at some
output (paper) from a hone session and being asked
about memory and the like.

Ed