ps2...@yahoo.com (Ed Gould) writes:
> My memory sort of agrees with the above and I will accept your memory.
>
> We used to have a full time SE from sometime in 196x's to the mid-late 1970's.
>
> My recollection from talking with him was that HONE was used for all
> configuration(s).  Was that not the case? I still remember (albeit
> vaguely ) looking at some output (paper) from a hone session and being
> asked about memory and the like.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011m.html#61 JCL CROSS-REFERENCE Utilities (OT for
Paul, Rick, and Shmuel)

original apl\360 would allocate next unused storage on every assignment
.... when it exhausted all of (workspace) storage ... it would "garbage
collect" and coalesce all allocated variables to bottom of the
workspace. this resulted in apl\360 repeatedly using every storage
location in the workspace ... even for small problems ... as long as
there were assignments (didn't re-use previous allocated storage for
variable). for small workspaces (16k or 32k bytes) ... that were
completely swapped ... it didn't really matter.

moving to cms\apl with demand-paged "virtual" workspace that was
hundreds of kbytes or multiple megabytes ... constantly touching every
possible workspace location led to page thrashing. one of the first
things that needed to be redone for cms\apl was redo how apl managed its
workspace storage.

HONE APL executable image was shared across all cms virtual machines
... reducing aggregate real storage footprint. Later work was done to
include significant pieces of APL workspace/programs in shared segments
... further reducing real storage footprint.

APL is an interpreted language ... after doing lots of work to optimize
virtual paging and aggregate real storage footprint ...  APL remained
computational intensive. That contributed to HONE having growing number
of high-end multiprocessors in loosely-coupled, single-system-image
configuration ... which had front-end process that did load-balancing
logon (slightly analogous to web search engines spreading load across
available syustems).

Many sales&marketing people spent their entire time in a session manager
implemented in APL (and automatically invoked at login) called "SEQUIOA"
...  and never or rarely directly exposed to vm370/cms. Eventually for
some of the heavily used, most compute intensive "configurators"
... they were recoded in FORTRAN and a process created that allowed APL
to invoked FORTRAN programs as sub-program ... which could achieve a
factor of 100 times reduction in processor use.

There was some growing/emerging native CMS use for writting (customer)
proposals, RFP responses and other document preperation ... as well as
growing use of email (like PROFS). recent (linkedin) discussion about
PROFS (and the internal network)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011m.html#60