On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 07:41:49 -0500, McKown, John wrote:

>I've been asked a question that I can't find the answer to. We are dumping
>VSAM KSDSes using ADRDSSU in logical dump mode. We then do a RESTORE. Does
>this "reorganized" the file, removing CA and CI splits and "compressing" the
>data back in physical/logical order? Or is it more like a physical restore of
>CAs or tracks?

Reorganized if you restore a logical dump with "VALIDATE". VALIDATE is the
default.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2U290/2.3.10.5.49?SHELF=dgt2bka0&DT=20100623212334&CASE=

"3. When a data set is restored, the free space in the control areas and
control intervals are reset to the values in the catalog entry. You can
override the values in the catalog entry by specifying the FREESPACE keyword on
the restore."

Norbert Friemel