Still on z/OS 1.10. 1.12 is in the works, but due to a problem caused by lack
of a maintenance contract, we need to be off of a vendor product before we can
convert.

Somewhat on topic to this is an "interesting" discovery I made. If you do a
logical dump of a multivolume VSAM KSDS using ADRDSSU, and then do a RESTORE
from this with an OUTDYNAM((onevol)), ADRDSSU puts out an ADR390I message about
UNMATCHED SIZE and attempt to reallocate the dataset with a new SPACE parameter
equal to the sum of the size of all the extents. In our case, this was 7400
cylinders. Which cannot fit on a single 3390-3 volume. So we get some SMS
messages about space contraint release being invoked. The LISTCAT on the KSDS
now shows a primary space of 7400 cylinders instead of the original value. But
all seems well. AT THIS TIME. However, if you then do another logical dump of
this KSDS, the restore of that second dump __fails__ with an allocation error
about not having any volume with sufficient free space (well, duh! No 3390-3
will ever have 7400 cylinders of free space). In this second case, space
constraint release is not invoked. Most weird. If you prealloca!
 te the output file with the original SPACE parameters and remove the OUTDYNAM,
then the RESTORE works correctly and, even better, does not change the space
allocation parameters.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV