Robert

There was a news item I caught recently which dealt with people who were
condemned to remember everything in their past life rather than simply where
they were and what they were doing when a significant event happened.[1]

I am not one of those thankfully and so I cannot recall - assuming I ever knew
just how much detail went along with the submission of the problem. I'm sure
that he would have made the situation clear in answer to the puzzled response -
and we were well aware that "teething problems" were to be expected.

Indeed, the other memory of that time was of some "footsteps on the stairs".

Normally customers called the SE number in IBM offices when a supposed "bug"
was unearthed. When the "new system" was established, they were instructed to
use the CE number instead. One of our favourite customers had mislaid that
information and so called the SE number. He was politely informed that the
system had changed and he should call the CE number now. My colleague and I sat
back in our chairs and waited with conspiratorial smiles on our faces.

It's important to know that the person we knew would be assigned the call had a
desk near the back stairs one floor down from us who also had a desk (shared in
those days because we were nearly always out tending to customers, weren't we?)
just by the door to the back stairs.

Well, I don't have to say anymore do I, the quoted introduction says it all. We
didn't have to wait long!

-

[1] For example, I was waking up from an autopsy when 9/11 (11/9 in some
geographies) was in progress or I was listening to sombre - but
inappropriate[2] - music on a BBC radio channel in the college room of a couple
of friend while news of the Dallas event was being mulled.

[2] Mendelssohn's 5th Symphony, the one with Luther's hymn as the theme for its
final movement.

-

Chris Mason