OK, now that you mention DSCBs, let me ask the VTOC gurus a question about
FMT1/8  DS1LSTAR -
I want to confirm my reading of how the number of "used tracks" for a
dataset is calculated in the context of large and extended formats.

Here's some pseudo-code for how I think it is calculated:

used_tracks = DS1LSTAR.TT  (the first two bytes of the TTR)
if (DS1STRP) {
   used_tracks = (DS1TRBAL << 16) + used_tracks;  // two new high-order
bytes
} else if (DS1LARGE) {
   used_tracks = (DS1TTTHI << 16) + used_tracks;  // one new high-order byte
}

This seems odd to me - am I understanding this correctly?

My other question has to do with PDS-Es.   I've read that LSTAR can't be
used, but I notice that ISPF 3.4 has used% for PDS-Es.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com