On 10/28/2011 3:09 PM, Kirk Wolf wrote:
Here's some pseudo-code for how I think it is calculated:
used_tracks = DS1LSTAR.TT  (the first two bytes of the TTR)
if (DS1STRP) {
    used_tracks = (DS1TRBAL<<  16) + used_tracks;  // two new high-order
bytes
} else if (DS1LARGE) {
    used_tracks = (DS1TTTHI<<  16) + used_tracks;  // one new high-order byte
}

This seems odd to me - am I understanding this correctly?

Can't comment on the rest, but for classical data sets, the use is either zero, when TT and R are zero (as for a PDS/E, HFS, etc.), or TT+1 (e.g., an empty PDS with 1 directory block would have TTR=000001, and TT alone gives you an incorrect 0 when you need 1.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT