A good starting point should be ALLOCxx member of SYS1.PARMLIB. There you
might find a parameter like VOLUME_MNT POLICY(WTOR). Then ask your
operating staff about how they deal with message IEF455D -- each and every
tape mount is requested by this message and has to be approved by
operator. I think their answer will contain the words system automation
and OAM along with DFSMSrmm -- or "dunno" which results to same but
requires that you ask system programming staff instead.
Then, tape security is supported by SAF/RACF as described in chapter 6 of
RACF Security Administrator Guide (SA22-7683-14). There are some flavors
and it's not really easy to cope. I found a good introduction by Norbert
Schlumberger on the internet, search for "z/OS Tape Security with
DFSMSrmm". And again that's the key word: Security in DFSMS is mainly
influenced by STGADMIN profiles in RACF class FACILITY. Descriptions on
these profiles are scattered around various manuals, e.g. starting at "
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/DGT2BKA0";.
Another central point for tape security is label processing. There are
some sections regarding ICHBLP profile in the manuals. This is a RACF
profile indicating MVS to bypass label processing. In short words: no
label, no security. A good starting point may be again DFSMS literature or
MVS JCL manuals.

Cheers
Michael