We have recently purchased an EMC/Bustech MDL 1000 virtual tape appliance,
backed by EMC/Data Domain DD670 open systems storage appliance.  We are going
to migrate from a tape based DR recovery plan to data replication to a hot
site.  We are going to remove all mainframe tape from our footprint.  We (read
management) did not purchase any services for this and have thrown me under the
bus.  I have to convert our tape processing from real tape to virtual tape.
OK, that part is already done.  The hard part, which is the bus part, is
splitting our tape data into classes (at least it is hard for me).  Bustech
says we can have 'scratch synonyms' for our tape mounts, so the data can be
written onto the Data Domain in different folders, where can control
replication.  This will allow us to replicate our DR tapes, but not worry about
the local, non-offsite tapes.  As far as I can tell, I need our z/OS system to
ask for something besides a PRIVAT or SCRTCH tape.  And please don't tel!
 l me to RFM, I have read about 10 so far to no avail.  But if you can't point
me to a manual that will help me, I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks,
Steve