As it has been mentioned before, sometimes resolutions don't get posted.
Thanks to Frank Bonaduce, Norbert Friemel, Jonathan Goossen and Chip Grantham
for all of their help (and everyone else as well).  It was indeed the IGXMSGEX
exit, which drives the request sent to the tape drive display.  Apparently the
Bus-Tech MDL device intercepts this message.  CA-1 has an exit (supplied in
member SMP3480) that talks about this, but it did not make sense to me what it
was for.  So you have to set up tape pools in CA-1, install this exit so it
relinks IGX00030 in SYS1.LPALIB, add the correct volser ranges to the MDL and
everything works just like it is supposed to.

Thanks again for the help.
Steve

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:19:19 -0600, Steve Dover <steve.do...@ccbcc.com> wrote:

>We have recently purchased an EMC/Bustech MDL 1000 virtual tape appliance,
>backed by EMC/Data Domain DD670 open systems storage appliance.  We are going
>to migrate from a tape based DR recovery plan to data replication to a hot
>site.  We are going to remove all mainframe tape from our footprint.  We (read
>management) did not purchase any services for this and have thrown me under
>the bus.  I have to convert our tape processing from real tape to virtual
>tape.  OK, that part is already done.  The hard part, which is the bus part,
>is splitting our tape data into classes (at least it is hard for me).  Bustech
>says we can have 'scratch synonyms' for our tape mounts, so the data can be
>written onto the Data Domain in different folders, where can control
>replication.  This will allow us to replicate our DR tapes, but not worry
>about the local, non-offsite tapes.  As far as I can tell, I need our z/OS
>system to ask for something besides a PRIVAT or SCRTCH tape.  And please don't
>te!
 ll me to RFM, I have read about 10 so far to no avail.  But if you can't point
me to a manual that will help me, I will be forever in your debt.