What's a TLA?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted MacNEIL" <eamacn...@yahoo.ca>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: USS

>Brackets? Oh, you mean parentheses: ( )
Brackets are: [ ] (not "square brackets", just "brackets")
Braces are: { } (not "curly braces", just "braces")

Another common use for obscure terms.

When I was in high school English brackets was an acceptable term.
When I took FORTRAN brackets was an acceptable term.
When I took C square brackets and curly (brackets or braces) were acceptable terms.
My profs used them.
Why, after almost 40 years, why do we have more retroactve corrections?

Like that other TLA, that shall remain nameless, even though it was used for almost 15 years before some self-appointed pedants started taking upon themselves to preach.
-
Ted MacNEIL
eamacn...@yahoo.ca
Twitter: @TedMacNEIL