We always called the * a "splat".

Ken Hume
IBM PD Tools Client Advocate
(720)396-7776
kph...@us.ibm.com

On 11/18/2011 7:02 AM, McKown, John wrote:
Since it is now Friday, how about

/ is a solidus, aka a slash
\ is a reverse solidus, aka a backslash
# is an octhothrope, aka a hash mark or pound sign. Not to be confused with "pound
sterling" sign.
! is a "bang" - I learned that long ago in college on a Xerox Sigma 7 system.
#! is normally pronounced "shebang" in UNIX. I guess a verbal slurring of "hash
bang" together.

When speaking, I often say "square bracket" and "curly brace" (open or close) just
because people often don't know a brace from a bracket from a parenthesis. And let's not even talk about
carets ^. And what is the proper word for that PL/1 "not" sign ¬ ?

I never heard of "broken brackets" for<  and>. Just "less than" and "greater
than".

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 . N. Richland Hills . TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone .
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com . www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM