Donald Russell on IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
wrote on 11/21/2011 10:16:26 AM:
> I have a tape dataset from which I need to extract all records that begin
> with a specific 2 byte prefix. The RECFM is VB or possibly U.
>
> Is there an IBM utility that lets me just select those given records?
>
> I thought IEBEDIT sounded like a good candidate, but that seems to deal
> with actual job streams.... then I thought of IEBGENR, but that doesn't
> appear to do what I want either.
>
> Surely I'm missing something, I'd think this is a very common task.
>
> For example, CMS/TSO PIPELINES
> PIPE < input | STRFIND /xx/ | > output

If you want to select VB records that have XX in positions 5-6 (after the
RDW in positions 1-4), you can use a DFSORT job like the following:

//S1 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN DD DSN=...  input tape file (VB)
//SORTOUT DD DSN=...  output file (VB)
//SYSIN DD *
  OPTION COPY
  INCLUDE COND=(5,2,CH,EQ,C'XX')
/*

However, DFSORT cannot process RECFM=U data sets.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yae...@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort