On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 14:02, John Gilmore <johnwgilmore0...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The use of the SORT to do this job seems to me to be much akin to
> using a piledriver to set a ten-penny nail., and I should be
> interested to know why you sought a canned solution to a problem of
> this sort.

Though clearly the programming effort to write my own code to do this is
trivial, the reason for wanting a "canned solution" is to avoid all the
"business rules and procedures" associated with writing "custom code".

If I roll my own, it has to go through the whole QA process, and
distributed to various geographically diverse MVS systems where I need this
capability.  DFSORT is available right now. It's been debugged, it's been
accepted, it's in production, now.

If DFSORT can do what I need, that's perfect. The cycles to run DFSORT for
this are less expensive than my and other people's time to properly support
it.

If there's another "out-of-the-box" solution, I'm all ears. i.e. my cms/tso
pipelines solution suggested in my original post. (But I'm note sure we
have PIPELINES on all our MVS systems.)

I'm also a big believer in using existing wheels. Why do I want to write a
program that already does what another, already available one does?

The reason I need this capability is so I can extract a subset of records
from one or more tapes in various geographically diverse MVS sites, send
that data to another MVS site that has USS and do some stuff with it there.
I could just copy the entire tape across the country/globe, but I do have
some limits regarding wasted bandwidth/cycles. :-)

It's a trade-off/balancing act.

Cheers