John;

> My manager is __very__ good in the technical arena.
Lucky you.  Seriously.  My experience is that, no matter how good they are,
once they go to the dark side they lose many skills they would need to do the
techie job.

Perhaps there are exceptions, but that is either a curse or a luxury.  A curse
if you are expected to do both jobs, and a luxury if you can afford it.  One
very great and kind man that I know who is very "rich" also gets involved in
the dirty details of projects he is particularly interested in.  At the moment
one of the technologies that is up and coming is distributed computing.  Not
sure if that is a cloud or what was once that thing we did to crack the alien
code, where our computers were being used while we were sleeping or eating
bananas or whatever.  The buzz words come and go so fast I sometimes cannot
keep up.  Still, if wishes were fishes....

> Which is why my manager doesn't want exits coded "in house".
Right you are.  My good friend and I used to have this discussion about what a
sysprog IS in today's world.  I am doing him wrong, but I understand he says
that the job of "sysprog" is gone, and now you just have system admins running
the mainframes.  "But!?" I cried, after spending about 3 months not sleeping
tracing one control block to the next.  "Why did I spend so much time writing
an SVC, or even worse an SRB?"

His answer, I think, was that such a person isn't needed in a "regular" shop.
"But who will maintain the exits and all that sort of crap?"  His answer:  IBM
consultants, other consultants, vendors, etc.

> Given the way Europe is going, and the insanity in the mid-east, I don't
> worry about it. The bomb blasts will solve the problem for us all.

Well, there is Europe, and there is us way up here in Finland.  So, I too try
not to worry too much about it.  Takes a big bomb blast to scare the Finns. Oh
oh. Don't know how historically accurate this is, but I would guess that in
some ways it is very accurate.
http://lilliana.eu/downloads/finland_afraid.jpg

>>  Bu t anyway, God help you if someone like me is the last man standing!

> No, that's Tim Allen (his new show - funny, but I prefered Home Improvement).

I have not seen that.  I don't have so many channels on my regular cable here,
also I cannot watch Hulu online unless I go through a proxy server, and I'd
never do that proxy server stuff.

On the other hand, I just checked Hulu and Home Improvement is there, somehow,
but  nothing much more than some short clips.  That was a great show.

)Lindy