On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:36:48 +0100, R.S. wrote:

>SUBMIT adds a character only if the job text does not contain JOB
>statement. IMHO submitting jobs without JOB statement is "quick and
>DIRTY" method. Very dirty. It can be easily changed to allow 8-char
>userids (add 1 charecter OR change eight character with random one).

Of course, requiring that job names begin with the user ID is the only
way to almost guarantee that job names are unique.  But even nowadays
is there anything to prevent my submitting a job not with the TSO SUBMIT
command (e.g. via FTP or by writing directly to INTRDR) that has your
user ID as a prefix?  Is there anything except the good conscience of the
admin to prevent creating two user IDs where the second is the first
with a single character appended?

>Last, but not least: does anyone remember that userid can begin with
>numeric? A user name 1234567 is legal one. Obviously TSO segment for
>such userid is still big problem.

Simply because of DSN prefixing, or are there other concerns?

-- gil