A RACF id can be 8 characters. But, in that case, they cannot have a TSO
segment. So they cannot be used to logon to TSO. If you try, you get a message
of some sort from the TSO logon process. They can be used for batch jobs, UNIX
shell accounts, ftp accounts, CICS logons, and probably others (like DB2 and
IMS, but I don't know).

The userid+1 is a very old "restriction" which is part of the
OUTPUT|CANCEL|STATUS command. But it can be ignored by using TSO exit IKJEFF53.
It never applied to SDSF, which uses either the SDSF parms or SAF controls. The
TSO submit command, as best as I can tell, only looks at the job name in the
JCL being submitted. If the job name is equal to the TSO id, then it either
prompts for a unique character to append or appends one itself (depending on
the PROFILE PROMPT setting). I submit jobs all the time which don't begin with
my RACF id.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 . N. Richland Hills . TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone .
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com . www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM