Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 1:38 AM
Subject: Re: How to find a PDS member

Graham,

I've often had to go into companies being given a TSO ID and knowing
nothing else about the site. One of my first steps would be to ask one of
the Storage group people to run a DCOLLECT job (DFSMS Data Collection
Facility) to list all datasets on all DASD on the system and put the output
in a sequential file. This would have all dataset names, last reference
dates, DSORG and more. You would browse that until you get a feel for he
naming conventions used and use the names to try and determine which
datasets might have what you are looking for. DCOLLECT will list all
datasets, even those not catalogued. Just because  a dataset isn't
catalogued doesn't mean it doesn't have something in it your interested in.
APF datasets do not have to be catalogued.

While waiting for that output you can search many system and TSO datasets
with ISRDDN. I haven't seen anyone mention that to you but I haven't read
all these threads either.

From ISPF screen 6 enter ISRDDN.

On the screen returned enter LINKLIST on the command line
On the screen returned enter MEMBER modulenameyouarelookingfor  on
the command line and hit enter
You will get a warning screen because this command will open every
LINKLIST and LPA dataset to read. If you don't have access to a certain
number, security may  cancel and suspend your ID
Enter YES to the warning.
If the module is in LPA, LINKLIST or any library allocated to your
TSO ID, ISRDDN will fine it. Browse the list to see them all.

You can do the same thing using ISRDDN to search APF datasets. Follow the
same process as above except where you first entered LINKLIST under ISRDDN,
enter APF.

And my disclaimer:  The postings on this site are my own and don't
necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies, or opinions (just trying
to help).

Thank You,

Paul Strauss

Integrated Technology Delivery, Global Services, IBM
L0DB z/OS MVS/Program Products/Security
150 Kettletown Rd.
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 272-2758
strau...@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

|Graham Hobbs <gho...@cdpwise.net> |

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

|IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu |

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

|01/05/2012 08:18 PM |

|------------>
| Subject:   |

|Re: How to find a PDS member |

| Sent by:   |

|IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> |

I did, bit laborious, but just poking around I saw HLQ's that started to
mean something. Plus the list gave me 'srchfor' and 'member' - pearls of
wisdom. And for an oldtime app developer, if it aint catalogued it dont
exist.