When filling in an ITIL based Configuration management database, I used the
basic "server"
definition for a mainframe. Then I created new entities for LPAR being "part
of" the
mainframe server, and Virtual Machine also being part of a server or an LPAR. I
also use
the Virtual Machine definition as part of an ESX Cluster and an OVM server
pool. I have
not yet had to define a straight Xen server or a KVM server, but I will get
around to them.

BTW, there is an ITIL/ITSM based
Helpdesk/ChangeManagement/ConfigurationManagement program
out there. It is called OTRS with the ITSM add-on. It can run on a windows pc
if you want
to experiment or do it just for yourself. It can also run under linux (mine is
in an ESX
Virtual Machine, but it should be portable to linux under z/VM).

/Tom Kern