In article <capd5f5o4mxgbx35dfnbl6bfkx6x6v0bl-_myln_qfwqdy4d...@mail.gmail.com>
you write:

[...]

>to draw a line or score underneath, to underline
>
>The character '_' does not have this function.  It cannot indeed be
>used in this way.  To call it an underscore is thus at once incorrect
>and rather silly.  It is of a piece with Mr Gainford's misuse of the
>word 'anachronistic'.

Yes, it does provided that your printer has the ability to overprint.
You simply overprint the desired text with the '_' character.

Example using ASA control chars on a line printer:

+The word is underscored.

--
Rich Greenberg  Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 941 378 2097
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67