John Gilmore writes:
> Mr Altmark is again only marginally correct about the term
> 'underscore', as the OED quotations for it make clear, it is a
> slightly antique term used literally.

The OED defines "underscore", among other meanings, as: "a key on
a computer or typewriter keyboard which produces a short horizontal
line on the baseline."

Is this somehow unclear?  It certainly does not seem "antique".

> The response it elicited from Mr Altmark requires another sort of
> comment.  Its tone is magisterial.  Its content is radically
> inadequate.  He should do his homework before he ventures another
> such.  I shall not be so polite next time.

For Mr Gilmore to accuse anyone else of taking a "magisterial" tone
is truly hilarious.

Allen Gainsford
Info Developer, Banking Shared Services
HP Enterprise Services (South Pacific)