On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:18:09 -0500, Jousma, David wrote:

>Iosq?   Really?   This is raid dasd, isn't "slow" 3390-9's a thing of
>the past?

Is z/OS unaware of the underlying RAID and designed not to dispatch
concurrent operations to what it sees as a single device?

With SLEDs, response time would be more likely to increase than
decrease, because of increased seek lengths and because of
contention.  With RAID, things are less predictable.
-- gil